Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Switching to Cloth Diapers

Many years ago while helping in the nursery at church I saw my first cloth diaper. It was bulky and clipped down with a safety-pin, it was also held down with a plastic panty looking thing. I was dumbfounded by how to change this thing as I had only changed disposable. Finally after looking at it for a minute called one of the adult supervisors ( as I was 11 at the time) and let them change the baby. I asked my dad as we where driving back why would someone put that on a baby. Later on I was told that they where cloth diaper and that a lot of people used them. He went on to tell me that shortly after before I was born the disposable diaper was made. He told me the only reason that they did disposable was because a friend of theirs gave them free diapers. He worked for Procter and Gamble and stocked the shelves and every package that was torn open was supposed to be thrown away. ( WHAT A WASTE) He decided however to take the torn packages to his home and store them and give them to friends and family that needed them.

Seven years later I was going to be a mom. I was looking at everything I needed for my daughter after she was born. Not long after I was asked if I was going to cloth diaper by a friend of mine. I told her no and that it was sooo old fashioned. She started sending me pictures of super cute cloth diapers and the woolies that went over them. I was jealous of all the cute designs and the cute outfits that went with them. I decided that i was not going to be able to afford the cloth diapers and continued to stock up on disposable. Even with my tiny check it would have taken till she was already one to make enough for a stash!! I gave up on my quest and continued with disposable's.

It wasnt until this last December that the offer of cloth diapers was given to me. I had thought about it long and hard.. I wanted to cloth diaper!! I was tired of buying diapers and I was tired of having to spend the majority of our paychecks on wipes and diapers.  Graciously the women who where in the cloth diaper group I joined donated several cloth diapers to me to help off set the cost of the moving we where having to do. While I was scared to death at the idea, I was also so exited!! After a few weeks I was able to get my washes mastered!! We had one small hiccup when mini chick decided he was going to poop and not let me know.. His rear end was as red as a sunburn!! Luckily I had the best group of ladies ever to help me!!  Now it is my normal routine to get up and wash then stuff the diapers and get ready for the rest of the day.. I finally got what I wanted!!

Update:
I would like to say that after a month and a half in cloth we have saved over 150 dollars!! It sure does pay off going green!!

No comments:

Post a Comment