Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Real Thanksgiving : What media and Black Friday has done to the once giving holiday.

So I am sitting here watching TV and noticing the amount of Black Friday ads. Its sad that we have went from a country of sitting down with family and enjoying the bounty's of the year, to now a shopping spree to buy a new 60in Smart LED TV half the price it was before. We have went from giving to a whole bunch of Scrooges!!  As a child ( probably 7) I remember the smell of the turkey and the laughter of my family as the kids played in the backyard. I remember the prayer of thanks we said to God and the closeness we had. The last Thanksgiving  I had with my grandmother was 3 years ago, the last one with my Family was 5 years ago. I have lost touch with most of my family... Most of it is differences, some of it is being too busy. I long for the Days Santa was in December and that we had to wait for the best sales to happen on Black Friday.  I wish the old days would come back for a few days so that my children can feel the same way I did. I cant wait to see the countless news stories of people running to get the TV that they wanted and end up getting in the mess of push and shove. I cant wait for the news that consumers are still not quite getting bottom dollar on these early sales only to find out they could have bought it for twenty dollars less a week later.. I cant wait to do my last minute shopping just like my mom did and still be able to make my daughter and sons Christmas just as special. I am going to stay home hugging my children and enjoy the Parade and sip my coffee and then focus on the next big day....


No comments:

Post a Comment