Saturday, July 6, 2013

( Cure For Kason Blog Special) Rants about shopping for safe food

Ask me anything about weather and ill be able to tell you.. if you have been following my blog or my pages you will know that I do storm spotting.. I could tell you anything about changing a cars oil, I was raised by the best car care guy on this earth. But ask me to tell you how to shop for food allergies starts me to a nervous fit...

Since April we have been through the ups and downs of getting Kason used to his new diet.. Where there would be PB sandwiches in the afternoon , there is now special made chicken and noodles or a quick baked potato..  We have been through the biggest change of lifestyle since my hubs left the military..  Changing your diet however has made most of the people ( mostly myself) a little more grumpy and a little less thrilled with food.. What used to be filled with cream of crap ( cream of mushroom ETC) is now filled with white rice and herbs and dairy free butter. Shopping for the newly diagnosed is like a marathon.. You get so far into a label thinking YES we can eat that and the the epic letdown when it says soy letchin or other wonderful dairy, soy or peanut products!! I have had to make my shopping trips easier by leaving the kids with the hubs so that I can get something that will not cause Kason any harm..  What used to take me AN hour now makes me think I need to just move in.. My last visit caused me to come home and raise my hands up in retreat..

I started by cutting the processed stuff out of our diet , that would include my favorite frozen pizza fix.. I have start cooking more fresh foods.. Instead of more junk there is fruit and veggies.. Instead of tons of trips to the store it now is visits to the farmers market for fresh meat and fresh veggies.. I am not worried about what I am feeding him , its all labeled clearly.  I choose not to be worried anymore. I am giving my child the best thing .. We are super exited about the non GMO foods and meats ( yes you can have GMO meat because they eat GMO grains)

Lists have become my best friend, there is so many additives that are on the no no lists for Kason, The companies have to label for the main 8 allergens.. but guess what they can hide milk with whey and soy in lecthin . I am sickened that these companies don't want to label.. what are they afraid of? Loosing business? I am concerned about what is to come in the future.. Will my son ever be safe?



No comments:

Post a Comment